Sunday, December 12, 2010

Book and Podcast Recommendations

I'm stealing a page from Rodney on this one.  We have done quite a bit of reading during our time away.  I'm listing my favorites below divided between fiction and nonfiction with links to Amazon.

Nonfiction:
The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook by Ben Mezrich
Seaworthy by Linda Greenlaw
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
The Wave by Susan Casey
The Big Short by Michael Lewis
Tokyo Vice by Jake Adelstein

Fiction:
The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks
The Magicians by Lev Grossman
 A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

You know the other things that's awesome: podcasts.  We spend a lot of time on buses, planes and trains, and podcasts really help to pass the time.  Rodney and I have been This American Life addicts for a long time, but this trip has really broadened our podcast horizons.  I'm not sure that I have Rodney sold on all of the below yet, but, in addition to This American Life, I am currently loving the following...

WTF with Marc Maron
The Nerdist
The Moth Podcast

I'll also give special mention to NPR: The Planet Money Podcast.  It's an excellent bi-weekly look at the economy but not as entertaining as the other three mentioned above.  (All are available in the iTunes Store.)

No comments:

Post a Comment